Our mission: Stopping violence, war and terrorism, through peaceful, just and democratic means
Here’s what Cleveland Peace Action stands for:
- Stopping U.S. wars and over-reliance on military interventions. Instead we favor engagement and diplomacy.
- Reducing Pentagon spending and directing those taxpayer dollars towards human needs.
- Peace, with justice for all, in the Middle East, in particular an end to the oppression of Palestinians.
- Partnering with Northeast Ohio groups to address violence and injustice in local communities.
- The ultimate worldwide abolition of nuclear weapons.
- Environmental justice and addressing global climate change.
National Peace Action
Peace Action is the nation’s largest grassroots peace network with chapters and affiliates in states across the country.
Formerly known as SANE/FREEZE, the organization was formed in 1987 by the merger of the Committee for a SANE Nuclear Policy and the Nuclear Weapons Freeze Campaign. SANE was born in 1957, out of concerns about the nuclear arms race, the grave risk of nuclear war, and a call to end nuclear weapons testing. The Nuclear Freeze Campaign emerged in 1981, as these concerns became paramount, with 80% of Americans supporting its proposal for a bi-lateral US-USSR freeze on the testing, production and deployment of nuclear weapons. The first SANE/FREEZE National Congress was held in Cleveland in 1987. Following the end of the Cold War, we changed our name to Peace Action, to underscore the risks of a militarized foreign policy and runaway military spending, as well as the dangers of nuclear weapons.
For over 60 years, Peace Action has worked for an environment where all are free from violence and war. We understand that long-standing global conflicts require long-term solutions and that US foreign policy has a lasting effect on the world. We are working to promote a new U.S. foreign policy that is based on peaceful support for human rights and democracy, eliminating the threat of weapons of mass destruction, and cooperation with the world community. We organize against pre-emptive wars, and advocate for the withdrawal of American troops and contractors from the endless wars across the Middle East.
Cleveland Peace Action
Cleveland Peace Action is a chapter of national Peace Action. Cleveland Peace Action began as the Greater Cleveland Nuclear Weapons Freeze Campaign in 1981. We support the goals of the national organization but also advocate our own positions and policies, especially those with local relevance and interest.
Join us in:
- Reducing military spending so we can fund our communities
- Working for peace in the Middle East and ending the Israeli occupation of Palestine
- Stopping military interventions that don’t work and put American troops in harm’s way
- Eliminating nuclear weapons from our planet
Cleveland Peace Action Education Fund
Cleveland Peace Action Education Fund is a 501(c)3 organization. The Education Fund provides financial and staff support for specific educational programs within Cleveland Peace Action. The two organizations combine in a Joint Executive Committee and together they oversee Fundraising and Membership programs.
Donors to Cleveland Peace Action or the Cleveland Peace Action Education Fund are members of both organizations, as well as the national Peace Action organization. Donations to Cleveland Peace Action Education Fund are tax-deductible and will be acknowledged with a letter, to document the gift for tax purposes.
Board of Directors
Officers: One-year term beginning 3/19/18
Rosemary Palmer, President
Dena Magoulias, Treasurer
Bill Fickinger, Secretary
Two-year term beginning 3/4/17
Contact: email us, call 216-393-7986, or Use this form
Our office and mailing address is 2592 W. 14th St., Suite 109, Cleveland, OH 44113.